Creating a Healthier Community

Healthier patients start in the community. That’s why we partner with the organizations closest to the issues and opportunities facing our region. Together, we can pool resources, share ideas and develop programs that improve everyone’s health and well-being. Here is a look at some of the programs helping those who need it most.

Health is More than Healthcare

While Hunter Health reaches a significant number of community residents each year through the delivery of clinical services, we know that health involves much more than traditional medical care. The National Association of Community Health Centers estimates that only 20% of health outcomes can be attributed to clinical care. The remaining 80% is attributable to social determinants of health (SDOH)—conditions (typically non-medical) in the places where people live, learn, work, and play that affect a wide range of health risks and outcomes.

Our Community Need

Sedgwick County ranked 79th of 104 Kansas counties in health factors according to the 2020 County Health Rankings (a program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation). To truly meet our mission to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in our community, we know we must provide solutions that impact the other 80% of health outcomes attributable to social determinants of health.

  • Low-income and racial- and ethnic-minority populations tend to be at greater risk for chronic health conditions related to health behaviors and clinical care.
  • Patients may be isolated from care due to where they live, lack of access to transportation, income level, language barriers, and complex medical conditions. To reduce barriers to access, Hunter Health offers enabling services, including prescription assistance, referral relationships, transportation, translation, and a traditional health coordinator.

Hunter Health Homeless Care

Taking health care outside the clinic walls

At Hunter Health, we want to make it easier for people experiencing homelessness to have access to quality healthcare services. Not only do we provide services to anyone, regardless of their ability to pay, we also care for thousands every year in community outreach, providing medical services and health education in the community when and where the need is greatest.

A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) visits residents of homeless shelters and drop-in centers to assess medical needs, including:

  • Depression
  • Asthma
  • Diabetes
  • Substance abuse
  • Dental
  • COVID-19 testing and vaccination

You Are Not Alone

If you are staying in an emergency shelter, on the street, camping out, or even staying temporarily with a friend, you may be eligible for services through the Homeless Healthcare Program.

If you, or someone you know, needs our Homeless Outreach services, please contact:

Cristina Cruzeiro, LPN
Shelter Nurse
P: 316-262-2415 

United Methodist Open Door
402 E 2nd St. N, Wichita, KS 67202
Monday’s 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Wednesday’s 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Fridays 8 a.m. – Noon

More Important Phone Numbers

Hunter Health Outreach Department

316-262-2415 Ext: 1228

Emergency Housing Services

316-462-3700

United Way Community Services

Helpful Guides

Below are quick reference guides to help you find assistance related to specific areas.